Get in touch for more site info using the Missoula Fly List group on What’s App: https://chat.whatsapp.com/F41CZ0G09cK7MbRhOfTihF
Please pay special attention where the launches and the landing zones are below.
-H2 must be with site observer
-H3 must be with H4
-P2 must have 5 flights with site observer
-After observed flights, P2 must be with P3
-M1 must have 5 flights with site observer
-After observed flights, M1 must be with M2 (unless P3)
Mount Sentinel Rules and Regulation
Important Sentinel Site Information and Protocol:
- Call the Missoula Air Traffic Control Tower from the trailhead. (406) 549-2979. Tell them you will be flying Mt. Jumbo, the number of pilots, approximate launch time. Be polite and brief when speaking with the tower personnel—they are busy. If the tower personnel have any questions or concerns, please direct them to Derek Goldman (USHPA PG observer) 370-6491.
- Call the tower again at the conclusion of the flying session.
- Be a current USHPA member.
- Follow FAA rules for sunset and cloud clearance. Use strobe to fly 1/2 hour after sunset.
- Pilots new to the site must fly with a local pilot before going solo.
- P-2/H-2 (novice) pilots must fly 5 flights with 2 different pilots who have flown the site for at least a season. Mini Wing ratings are required on Mt. Sentinel.
- Avoid the Class D airspace that begins approximately 1 mile west of Mt. Sentinel. Stay alert for the occasional low-flying aircraft, especially inbound from the east.
- Avoid disturbing deer or elk when flying.
- Check for postings of mid-to-late-summer fire restrictions that often close the mountain.
- Fly within the recommended operating limitations for your rating; pay attention to changing conditions….
- Make conscious decisions for site preservation.
Questions? Contact Paul Roys, USHPA HG/PG observer for Mt. Sentinel: (406)203-2695
Download UM Sentinel Waiver Form